Gluten Free Flying...TAP Airways

The omens weren't good. Two days before our TAP flight to Lisbon for the May Bank Holiday weekend I spent 40 minutes waiting on hold on the phone TAP customer services to request my gluten free meal. When I finally got through, they informed me I'd already requested it. Clearly I'm getting old since I don't remember doing that at all! Then the day before our flight I had to call TAP 3 times in order to 'check in online'. For some reason I could check my husband in online but not me. Was my special meal request the cause? Maybe.

So when we got onboard and the flight attendant told me my special meal request wasn't on the passenger list I wasn't exactly surprised. Luckily that's where things started to improve. They had the GF meal, it just hadn't been assigned to me on the passenger list.

Here's a photo before opening (and yes that is a very generous glass of red wine!):



So what was on the menu?



The silver package contained a warm gluten free toasted sandwich! The filling was a very surprisingly tasty roast beef with tangy cheese. And guess what? It was actually really rather good. I'm not usually a fan of white GF bread as it's too sugary for me but this one was nice. I don't know what sort of GF bread TAP Airways use but I'm very tempted to contact them and find out. The bread didn't crumble at all and was great toasted. Eating it made me remember my once much loved but now retired Breville sandwich toaster. Even the fruit salad was pretty fresh tasting.

Ever wished you could have the tasty, flavoursome meal the other passengers are eating? Well, spare a thought for gluten eating Mr D as the usual in flight catering roles were reversed. The regular meal was a pork and pineapple toasted sub. Perhaps this is a Portuguese delicacy but it reminded him of being a hungry student and raiding the cupboards only to find pineapple chunks to liven up an otherwise boring pork sandwich. I often look enviously at his tasty looking meal as I pick at yet another bland gluten free airline meal. Not this time!

I'm keen to do another trip to South America soon and on the basis of this experience I'd happily fly with TAP to Brazil.

Who'd have thought I'd enjoy a GF inflight meal so much?!


Gluten Free Mrs D

Comments