Sainsbury's freefrom Iced Rich Fruit Cake Slices

If you read my previous post about the lovely freefrom dinner I was recently invited to at Sainsbury's London HQ, you'll know that I came away with a goody bag containing a number of Sainsbury's Christmas gluten free products to try.

I'll be honest at the start of this review and say I would not normally buy Iced Rich Fruit slices, or indeed any kind of Christmas cake or pudding. First of all, the regular fruit cake used to make me feel unwell and very bloated. Obviously I now know why this was. But also, I don't like marzipan. I've been to many a wedding reception where I've peeled the marzipan and icing from the cake, discarded the cake and carefully peeled apart the icing from the marzipan leaving just the sugar hit of icing for me to eat. Sorry to any brides reading this!

So you can understand why I approached the Sainsbury's freefrom Iced Rich Fruit Cake Slices with some trepidation.....
It turns out my fears were unfounded. I found the Sainsbury's freefrom Iced Rich Fruit Cake slices to be rich, spicy and incredibly moist, something I hadn't been expecting from a product with a shelf life of several months.


I liked that the gluten free slices were packed with lots of dried fruits as you can see in the following photo. I particularly enjoyed the mixed peel. I even liked the marzipan and thought the icing wasn't too sugar-iffic.
I found the slices to be quite filling and could only manage one. We popped them into an airtight box and they stayed fresh for several days.

Would I buy these again? Yes. They tasted so good that I don't think anyone could guess they were gluten free. It would be easy to slip these to your non-gluten free friends and family without them knowing they were anything other than very tasty Christmas treats.  

Comments